Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Calling All Entrepreneurs: Why Not a Bowling Alley?

Bowling ball
I've been feeling awfully nostalgic lately about my childhood, and one of my favorite hobbies back in the day was bowling. Birthday parties and Sunday afternoon leagues at the bowling alley were some of my favorite memories. Now that I've moved away from my hometown, the nearest bowling alley is 45 minutes away, which begs the question, why aren't more entrepreneurs moving into this space?

Bowling is a quintessential American hobby, and one that is enjoyed by a huge percentage of the population. The groundbreaking book Bowling Alone by John Putnam even uses bowling leagues as a metaphor for a sense of community and togetherness. It seems to me that more kids are playing Wii bowling today than enjoying fun afternoons at the bowling alley with family and friends.

 Bowling alley franchises are hardly the most difficult investment to make. Top bowling alley equipment companies offer package deals for those starting franchises, and there are many resources for entrepreneurs working to start their own bowling alley.  It seems to me that there are a lot of  places lacking this fun community activity. Instead of trying to break into a market already flooded with fast food establishments, let's bring back this great American pastime. Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment